However, it seems even Microsoft is now showing Apple hardware on their site (more specifically, on their Dutch Office Online start page). Have a look at the laptop in the picture: clearly an Apple.
Category Archives: macbook
>About 2 weeks ago, I got converted. I now use a Mac. Before that I primarily used Windows and Linux. I’ll probably keep using Linux, but Mac OS/X is a perfect replacement for WinXP. Although most things work perfectly fine, I run into smallish issues all the time. Some of my findings are below.
My configuration: MacBook Pro 15.4″, Core 2 Duo 2.16 GHz, 2 GB RAM, Mac OS/X 10.4.8 (Tiger).
- When scrolling in a folder with a lot of icons, when I press and hold the scroll button in the scroll bar, then the images look distorted. When I release it, the view is corrected.
- Have a simple keyboard shortcut for sending the current message. For example Command-Enter.
- Send attachments in Windows-compatible format by default.
- When editing the “To:” field for a new message, I would expect the automatic completion not to propose addressees that are already in the To:, CC: or BCC: fields (nor perhaps in the From: or Reply-To: fields).
- The End key (in fact Fn-RightArrow) does not go to the end of the line, but to the end of the message. Perhaps this is not a bug, but it is confusing and annoying, since other applications do interpret go to the end of the line.
- Dashboard should not take so much time to display information the first time you start it up since the system boot. For example by remembering information it retrieved previously.
- Support the mouse scroll function.
- Sometimes the following happens. The screen saver runs. I move the mouse, enter my password, it is accepted and MacOS is showing. Then within a couple of seconds the screen saver activates itself again. And I have to enter my password again. This time it doesn’t reactivate the screen saver immediately.
- When exiting the screensaver, the normal screen quickly flashes. I would not expect this to be visible at all.
General Mac OS/X
- Different applications have different mouse cursors, especially for the wait cursor. This is inconsistent and consequently annoying and confusing.
- When enabling Expose, then the magic window corner for the screen saver does not work anymore, so I have to exit Expose first.
- When editing a text field, allow the use of a keyboard shortcut to exit the text field. Preferably Esc.
- When editing a text field, allow the use of PgDn and PgUp to move one page down or up.
- In a text field, allow the use of Home (Fn-LeftArrow on a MacBook Pro C2D) to go to the beginning of a line. And allow the use of End (Fn-RightArrow) to go to the end of the line.
- In the small Info window, in the Link tab, remove the checkbox (Activate as link). Instead, just have an additional option in the dropdown box that indicates there is no link, e.g. “None”. This simplifies the user interface.
- Reflections are a very nice effect. However, they ought to be supported on normal shapes (circles, etc.) as well.
- Export to Flash currently changes dotted lines to straight lines, though the shadow is still of a dotted line. Looks like a bug.
- Export to Flash currently does not support sheet transformations. This would be nice to have.
- Exported Flash file should support going back to the previous slide, somehow. For example using Backspace, PgUp and Command-LeftArrow.
- When I start Keynote, or just switch to it while I have no document open, then it automatically creates a new document based on the default theme. I would like to be able to disable this. I find it confusing and counterproductive, because it makes me have to close that window again.
- Text cannot be copied from a normal sheet to a template sheet. It may be a bug.