>For a customer I bought an iMac 20-inch (2.16 GHz C2D, 2GB), which I’m now configuring. On top of Mac OS X 10.4.9, iLife and iWork ’06 I’m customizing the machine as follows, to suit his needs:
- Parallels 3.0 and inside it Windows XP Home Edition.
- NeoOffice 2.1, with the Dutch localization pack, setting the default file format for saving to the Microsoft Office (2000) file formats.
- Adobe Reader 8.1 for viewing PDF files.
- RealPlayer 10 for viewing Real content.
- Flip4Mac WMV 2.1.2 for playing Windows Media in QuickTime.
- Microsoft Office 2007 (within the Windows XP virtual machine) as a fallback for NeoOffice and in order to be able to open/convert Office 2007 files (such as .docx and .xlsx).
- Witch (for Option-Tab) as an improvement over Cmd-Tab.
- Firefox 2.0 (as a replacement for Safari) in combination with the del.ico.us Bookmarks extension, enabling the option Hide Bookmarks Menu and the FasterFox extension.
- PageSender 4.0 ($39) for sending and receiving faxes.
- Adobe Flash 9 for playing Flash content in all browsers (Safari and Firefox).
- VueScan 8.4 to support the HP ScanJet 5470c scanner.
Some challenges I’m still facing:
- Which version of Office 2007 should I choose? I expect only Word or Excel is occasionally needed.
- How do I convert all current faxes from WinFax Pro 9 to the Mac?
- How can I use VNC through the DSL modem and firewall? — Update: this is fairly easy with an SSH tunnel.
- (How well) does VueScan integrate with PageSender? Or how well can I make them integrate using Automator?